PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2009, 02:19
airfoilmod

The Hero Thing

I think most if not all professional pilots would:

Engage their Brain, experience, and training presented with a similar challenge. Out come notwithstanding.

I've (We've) been tossing this around, for several days. The agreement is basically, Hero? Hmmm. not really.

Captain Sullenberger's actions (and solutions) were elegant and exquisitely performed. What was he to do? Turn down the assignment Fate had arranged? Or even consider anything but doing, again, what his training and experience commanded?

The non flying, actually, non-airline folk, act resentful at the thought that this is perhaps not Heroism. Not to be taken for granted by anyone, certainly, but expected, because his passengers depend on him and FO Skiles. Calm? Professional, Creative, Dependable. Predictable. The Captain just lives down the road, I hope to meet and speak with him someday. I've met him before, so many times, over a long length of Time.

I think to call him Hero, to make him wear that odd badge, to suit people who truly don't understand the nature of the exercise, is unfair.

AF