PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If dual eng. failure ditching had been a B737NG..what procedures would you consider?
Old 21st Jan 2009, 00:29
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this good enough?

ea306,

You state in your profile that you're a 738 captain...

I am sorry, but it appears that a lot of people suddenly have become very interested in 2-engine-out procedures, ditcing procedures and A320 technicalities (for those that operate that aircraft).

Have we reached that state already? That it takes an accident to get us thinking about how we'd handle it if we were the unfortunate ones? I know we're talking a minority, and your efforts to get up to speed are commendable, ea306 - but us not having the imagination to imagine all the things that could and sooner or later will happen, that's not what the fare-paying public expect.

My tuppence worth - while you call for the "loss of thrust on both engines recall items", reach up and initiate an APU start while you declare the emergency and wind it back towards UP-speed (and once the APU start is going, you pop the trim handle for manual reversion). If at high altitude, you'll be calling for masks on as well, and once it was determined that the engines were not relighting immediately, you'd call for the memory items for emergency descent, followed by the checklist for loss of thrust on both engines. Your radios, your airplane

If you were flying... if your FO was flying, you'd prompt him/her to do the same if no immediate plan of action was forthcoming.

Once you have the APU, you have all sorts of goodies - hydraulics and normal gear extension, but only after remembering to switch the DCMPs off before getting the APU GEN on line, and then on again afterwards.

Edited after spotting that you DO have a ditching button to press! It's called the outflow valve, and you need to close it manually to ensure it'll stay closed.

Empty