PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2009, 20:43
learner001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ PBY

I can follow you…

In this light I would like to share some thoughts…

I used to do flight tests on a Dornier 228 to enable the correct rigging of the engines and propellers, so they would produce a resultant forward force as evenly as possible during flight. Especially important in the crucial low speed region. Most critical stages would be during stall recovery and wave off… Flare, speed bleed off, etc…

We went just a little beyond the absolute necessary, as we were testing, as we were relatively high and of course as we were fully aware of what we were doing and as we were very attentive... We knew what could be coming and we would very easily just pull the throttles back as soon as things would go out of hand.

Procedure was to let the speed bleed off to around stall and then very rapidly (slam…) advance the throttles to max. On purpose we would not use rudder and if things would go astray we simply retarded the throttles… And again…: We knew what could be coming…

We would then land, readjust the engines and/or propellers as necessary and then take off again for another try. We would repeat this scenario until the aircraft would fly out precisely straight ahead hands off…

We had the ‘luxury’ to just retard the throttles

If, unexpectedly (I do not know if this would be possible…) A-Floor would come in asymmetrically, just instinctively pulling the thrust levers to idle in the Airbus won’t work… This is (not very much, but...) in unexpected, surprising circumstances a little more complex.

Of course, keeping it simple and basic here, whilst sitting behind the desk, it is very easy to say: “Just put the thrust levers to toga/max (normal procedure, but may be not in this situation…) and push either red button momentarily and then pull the thrust levers (back) to idle (again)… etc…”

But that is now… And here... At ease… Behind the computor…

@ Carnage Matey!

I can follow you too. But I think an ‘asymmetric spool up’ is different from an ‘unexpected sudden surprise to MAX/TOGA on one side…’

Indeed, all just pure speculation...

In sympathy… Kind regards, learner . . .