PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dream VS The Reality
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2009, 18:57
downtownboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly I'd just like to say how surprised and grateful I am to everyone for what have been balanced and informative replies, thank you for taking the time to reply!

As expected I have been presented with both sides of the argument and from reading peoples replies I have no doubt that I would cherish a career as a pilot. I cannot deny, however, that I am motivated to a significant degree by money. This is not due to selfish greed but the fact that my parents were never particularly well off and while I am not motivated by possesions and big houses, I just want to be earn a high enough salary that I should be able to provide easily for a family and never have to worry too much about money.

I have heard of good salaries working in the north sea and oil rigs etc but are reports of £80,000 - £100,000 salaries actually realistic and/or common? And just how tough is it to get jobs in that sector?

In addition, how common is to work a rotation schedule in helciopters such as 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off?
Is that the norm?
And if so, how do you find living that schedule?
Does it feel like you have a great deal of time off, enough to indulge a lot in your other interests or do you find your time off to be extremely precious?

Sadly at 27 next month, I think I am too old for the military and therefore saving for a few years followed by large loans may be the only way for me. I would love to start my own business as EN48 was discussing as it can be far more productive financially but at 26 I am unsure of myself in such pursuits. While I have endless faith in my abilities and what I believe I can acheive, it is very hard to know how to go about starting a good business and in what.
With this financial position in mind, is it a lot more cost effective to simply not bother with a JAR license and just try to fly internationally instead?