PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US1549 Ditching in Hudson River - Q & A's (Merged)
Old 20th Jan 2009, 16:21
OFBSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After two multiple birdstrike incidents bringing down a 737 and now an A320 will y'all, frequent traveller or not, listen to and watch the safety demo now??

We are frequent flyers but we brief EVERY departure very carefully before we fly it to cover potential disasters.
No. By the time you do the safety demo, I'm way ahead of you.

The first thing I do when I sit down is find the nearest exits and count the rows from my seat to the exit row. I then try to memorize that number. Then I pull out safety card and review the information. In particular, I try to memorize the procedure for opening the various exits. If I'm in the exit row, I've compared the diagram to the exit, to make sure that I understand how to operate it. I also check to see if it says there is a life vest and if so, the procedure for using it.

I know how to open the seat belt and, in fact, have already fastened it. I know how to put on the O2 mask. I know to put mine on before assisting anyone else. I've already located the exits. I've already figured out how to put on the life vest.

Sorry, but by the time you give the briefing, I've already spent 5 minutes studying the safety card and the aircraft. I've already made my plan for my first choice of exit in case of an evacuation. Do I listen to the briefing? Yes, but I don't give it my full attention.

Last edited by OFBSLF; 20th Jan 2009 at 16:56.