PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 Sim trip - Best use of 1 hour?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2009, 14:58
Chequeredflag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from 1 hour and 15 minutes on the BA 737/400 sim at Heathrow. I had a lovely young lady as my instructor, currently on maternity leave from her day job as First Officer on BA 747/400s!!

We based ourselves at East Mids (I'm a ppl holder and fly from there), and basically did circuits. The first approach threw in a massive surprise to both of us - the previous occupants had programmed in massive windshear at around 300'. All hell let loose, massive sink, very loud verbal "windshear" and "sink rate" warnings, the stall stick shaker rattling furiously!!. Very sudden and very disorientating. Calmly she said "go around", so I firewalled the throttles, slammed to stick forward to release it from a nose up stall situation, and I just got away with it!! Blimey, that woke me up!

Having reprogrammed the computer, we then did takes off's to 2500', at which point she reset for an 8 mile final (saves wasting time in the circuit). I did it all the flying manually, not bothering with autothrottle for the approach. Emma handled the gear and flaps.

Being part way throught the IMC course, I was anxious to do some manual poor viz ILS approaches, and finished with four, each one being progressively harder. the last was with a 15kt wind straight across the runway, with a cloud base at 500'. Following the AI and Flight Director down the glideslope was considerably easier than on the Microsoft F/Sim and in the Warrior I normally fly and I was pleased with the last three instrument approaches particularly.

I chose the 737/400 because it's a lot more hands on than say the Airbus A320 - it was very instructional and very enjoyable. She insists that next time however, I go on "her" 747 sim. This experience is expensive at around £600, but recommended.