PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI - Body Mass Index - or Bl**dy Misleading Info
Old 20th Jan 2009, 11:20
K.Whyjelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upon being accepted for my first airline job many moons ago, the company MO requested my attendance in his office prior to being accepted by the company. The reason being that he had had a look at my medical details and according to the accepted facts with regards BMI I was a borderline obese case. Upon entering his office and meeting the Doc for the first time he looked up from his notes, gave me the once over with his eyes and muttered "Ahh, that explains it"! In front of him stood 6'3" of muscle packed gorgeousness that was a young KY ( happy days!!). Rugby playing at second row and rowing had built lots of muscle and not much fat but still my BMI was 29 and "borderline". Got the job but as a parting shot the MO shouted out to try and lose a bit of weight.....just doing his job I suppose.

Subsequent medicals (with my own AME) have been no problem. Mate in the pub some years back stated that BMI tables were drawn up by life insurance companies in the 1930's and that the reason the tables haven't been changed to reflect 21st century man is because these companies make a mint loading the premiums using outdated statistics. True or not it sounds feasible