PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2009, 10:51
EYXW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody earns less than minimum wage at BA - period. To suggest so is quite ridiculous as it would be illegal and they wouldn't get away with it - The current minimum wage is £5.73 an hour BA employ us on the basis of working 1200 hours per year (900 flying hours) legally we could work up to 2000 so worse case scenario 2000 x £5.73 = £11,460 p.a. If you are telling me you earn less than this as CC then may I suggest you are doing your sums wrong!

On the basis they work on 1200 x £5.73 = £6876 - well below even a new joiners base rate - and most new joiners being in EF will struggle to achieve even 1200 hours per year.

All this said - do I want to see CC pay reduced - hell no - it is unreasonable to expect someone who has been employed on the understanding they will receive X amount remuneration to then be told they will now get less. HOWEVER do I think the ancient and restrictive terms and conditions need to be changed to be more productive - certainly - £200 per crew member per sector for a one light payment (WW) is, I am sorry, insane.

Hitting anything less than 900 a year flying time on EF is equally unproductive, as are CAT payments for having a break that means getting back to compass would take to long, these were bizarre before T5 now they are just silly.

Box Payments/Over Time Rates/Destination Payments on WW - er why?

How about if allowances were based on the work you put in and how productive it is. Hourly rate doesn't have to be your enemy - but playing with the suggestion of an hourly rate the same way the American's played with the metric system will leave you behind, whilst everyone else gets involved, adapts, moves forward and has an improved system.

I don't think people should earn less, but working harder has been a long time coming at BA. No it's not a charter airline, but nor can it continue to work to the legacy carrier model.

Blame Loco's, blame the financial climate, blame Willy Walsh - I don't care! but we all have to realise that air transportation has changed (for a long time now) and we need to catch up.

Sorry If I seem blunt, or you disagree, but I find it hard to see anything in the document which isn't routed in fact......