PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2009, 09:53
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birdstrikes (one or multiple) are so diverse in their nature, that actaually planning for every scenario is difficult and in similar circumstances, replication of the actions may not be appropriate.

For example, in Alaska in the 1990's, a USAF E3 'Sentry' took major multiple birdstrikes (geese) just at Vr and losing 2 engines; eventually the ac crashed, killing all aboard. No long after, a NATO E3 suffered a multiple birdstrike (hawks and starlings) on take-off in Greece (at high speed, before Vr and, I think, just after V1) but they carried out an RTO/abort and not suprisingly, the ac over-ran the end of the runway. This time, however, as the birds had caused little damage to ac and engines, the crew were heavily criticised.... but at least they were all alive!

What would you have done in those circumstances - without the benefit of hindsight?

Having hit a number of birds in my time (all at different phases of flight), I feel that manufacturers and trainers probably do not give enough thought or open guidance about 'actions on'. In fairness, it may be because of my opening line - every birdstrike can be different. However, it may be because of the potential litigation in case the advice is inappropriate?
Whatever the reason, it should NOT preclude individual pilots taking some time to consider the what if's of birdstrikes (not to mention unplanned ditching).

This accident has reminded me that it is time to give birdstrikes some more thought. Here's my list for starters.

eg Birdstrike occurs @

- before 80/100kts on T/O.
- just before V1.
- just after Vr.
- before flap retraction.
- in climb, cruise or descent.
- during approach and configurating.
- on finals.
- during the flare.
- after T/D.

Contributing factors;

Big birds/small birds?
How many?
Seen/not seen/heard/not heard?
Tell ATC?
Engine indications ok/degraded/recovered/power avail?
Change configuration or not?
Fire/severe damage/eng shut down - checklists v fly the ac?
Visual inspection possible from inside/outside ac?
Low speed handling check possible/appropriate?
Airfield facilities - rwy length/xwind/fire services/engineering/commercial etc?
Cabin crew aware?

and, or course if things are really bad, maybe to select suitable area for crash or ditching + handling techniques thereof!

I for one think that 'Sully' and his crew did a fantastic job - bravos all round!

flipster