PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway at BRS was unsafe.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2009, 01:23
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary grooving is one option. I think there are better engineering solutions, and so it is pretty rare to find. I do not think it is particularly efficient or cost-effective, but sometimes I guess one gets stuck in a poor situation and so it gets chosen. I recall that was used at BRS eventually. CAP 781 (section 3.1.5) refers to it as an option.

I’m uncomfortable with the thought that temporary grooving should be considered normal should rain and/or crosswinds be forecast. If it is raining to any extent, then asphalt laying shouldn’t take place for normal construction quality reasons. Normally major construction is planned around weather patterns, and is done in the drier seasons (if applicable). Yes, if unexpected rain is forecast on the night, the works are temporarily stopped.

But the works planning at BRS combined winter with rain and crosswinds on what is a single very short runway. The risk of aircraft overruns under those conditions is considerably higher, and the planning for the works failed to recognise this and so they were simply hazardous. And were shown to be so in practice.