PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Layoffs at REX- Cadets to go first?!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2009, 00:45
Curved Approach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scare Tactics

Does he (LKH) seriously expect people to buy into his garbage???

To firstly clear the matter of retrenchments if it ever came to that I believe it would be last on first off situation. I think we will see something similiar with Pelair as we did with AirLink. The metro runs will be scaled back (aircraft sold) and freight runs profitable for a much smaller Pelair Saab fleet will continue. This will be where retrenchments, if any, occur.

With the Australian aviation industry forecast (take it as you may) set to pick up again over the next 6 to 12 month period LKH would be mad to retrench Rex Saab tech crew. It has been mentioned here of the full ranks, some 262 pilots. Looking closely at this list with the current Captain shortage, particularly in Sydney, there are really only enough command eligible F/Os to see out the next 12 to 18 months. This of course can be increased by reducing the Pelair operation and bringing it closer to the Rex one.

With the schedule now resuming to its normal capacity we should start to hear more and more from crewing how hard they have to work to crew uncrewed sectors on a day to day basis.

Off Topic: Pilot's EBA Negotiations

I believe the 9x3x3 suggested split of 15% over 3 years is half way there in the first year. It needs to be more in line with the initial claim made; ie the $82 - 100K for command base salary.

I would like to see a claim made of at least 17% x 2.5% x 2.5% with the following increases linked to CPI. ie 2.5% or CPI whichever is greater. It is a sceaming hole (IMHO) in our EBA that it is not linked to CPI. With the ridiculous extension payments the company has put on the table which fall way short and the casual day payments not much better than they are now I believe we must seek this base increase.

You need to understand the arrogant culture of the man we are dealing with, he will do anything to save face as we have and are seeing. I for one will not be bullied, tricked and scared into voting for a lesser EBA than deserved. Perhaps if LKH can not stand the heat in this Australian kitchen then he should leave!