PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2009, 21:24
ZQA297/30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo
Just a minor correction but indeed a lesson learned.

When the throttles were moved the engines began to surge. Without any abatement to the throttles the surging continued until the compressor baldes failed on one engine after the other "we got the other engine going too damn it". It is presumed that continued restart attempts with no compressor led to completely burned out turbines. But the real lesson learned about the engines was to throttle back just out of the engine stalling bucket and cross your fingers that you can keep it in the air that way.
This was a valuable guide to me some years later (early 1990s)
On a cool damp night in an MD-83 halfway through the rotate I ploughed through a flock of ducks that had been warming their feet on the runway, and just appeared in the lights as we crested the slight rise in the runway.
I was amazed as they rose straight up like helicopters, and in an instant "boom", both engines surged violently. A series of bangs followed, and to cut a long story short the starboard engine was surging, but the port was running OK with unknown level of damage. I instructed the F/O to slowly reduce the power on the stbd engine until it stopped surging, but NOT to let it unspool, as it would never come back up. (Thanks Southern!) It stabilised at about 1.3 EPR which might have been all we had left if the port one quit.
Luckily the port engine continued to run well, and we completed a tight circuit to get back on the ground before it might think of failing.

Ironically, during the landing roll, 3 ducks impacted the nose/windshield, presumably they had been flying around looking for the rest of the decimated flock.

On examination, the stbd engine first stage had 32 blades out of 36 either missing or badly damaged. The port had feathers from 3 or 4 ducks wrapped around intake area, but no mechanical damage. It speaks volumes of the toughness of P&W engines that neither hot section was seriously damaged.

P.S.
Needless to say, whenever duck is on the menu I go for it!

Last edited by ZQA297/30; 19th Jan 2009 at 21:38. Reason: Afterthought