PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2009, 13:57
Prangster

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Fly The Bloody Aeroplane

Capt Sullenberger followed the first principle of airmanship to the letter. 'When all goes pear shaped the first second third and last priority is to fly the bloody aeroplane'. (As clearly enunciated/bellowed/screamed by numerous instructors to any number of trainees/gradees dependent upon the potential cock up factor heading towards them. Given the height/speed/relative distances involved he did absolutley the right things in the right order. Also as everyones moaning about the cost of training how about going back to very basic basics ie make eveyone start on gliders. Afterall it never did the 1930's Luftwaffe any harm did it? As I was constantly told when learning to glide 'Lack of motive power do tendeth to concentrate the mind laddie' I still think that the glider pilots ability to plan and execute what to most pilots would be considered a dead stick landing is a skill that should be taught more widely. Yes I know folks execute EF training ad nauseum but never for very obvious reasons carry the approach to a logical conclusion' Airspeed/height/airspeed/rate of descent/airspeed every damn thing else but above all AIRSPEED. Lose that and you buy the farm. And Sully knew it it spades