PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2009, 13:11
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bighat
I would observe that the bird-strike was more likely to have occured over Bronx Park whilst on a heading of 360, having made the normal left after take off from 04 at LGA. It was here, when N106US reached it maximum height of 3,000 ft that the incident took place.
Are you observing that the bird strike was more likely to occur over Bronx Park or that the heading was likely to be 360 over Bronx Park/

If you rae suggesting that Bronx Park increased the risk of bird strike I would suggest that it may not have had an increased risk as far as geese are concerned.

At 3000 feet geese are more likely to be in transit between roosting and feeding areas. They are unlikely to be as high as 3000 feet should they have been disturbed on the ground nor would I expect them to be as high if they had just taken off or if they were intending to land at BP.

Where I am (clue in the name) our geese geneally use a stepped descent 1500 feet at 10 km out and stepping down every 5 k or so. True this is over marshes so in the BP case maybe over the river. They do not adopt a circling descent.

If alarmed they generally climb to 200-250 feet and make a circling descent back to the roosting area. In the Elmdorf case the geese had returned to roost within 2 minutes so I suggest in this case the geese had not been alarmed.