PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US1549 Ditching in Hudson River - Q & A's (Merged)
Old 19th Jan 2009, 13:02
Final 3 Greens

Starbuck

Don't worry about it.

Forget's comment is probably reacting to your choice of words, since "drop like a stone" sounds a bit like a red top headline, a little sensational.

One fact of flying known to all pilots is that aeroplanes fly becuase of the wing, not the engines, which are there to get them up off the ground and keep them up at cruising speed.

But it is the SLF forum and your question is okay for me ( I am SLF and also hold a pilot's licence for little aeroplanes and you can only fit a small ego into the cabin )

Rainboe can be fierce, but he is a very experienced pilot and as much as I often argue with him on these fora, if this happened to me, I couldn't think of any better than Rainboe to be captain, I reckon he would get a Boeing down safely, too, in similar circunstances.

But he does take offense at (a) anyone he perceives as implying criticism of the profession and (b) people who are nervous passengers.

The first I can understand, as professionals do stick together and the second is because he is a grumpy old git

But if you avoid the sensationalism and ask Rainboe nicely, you might be surprised at the quality of the reply you receive.

All the best!