PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 19th Jan 2009, 12:49
DAL208

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wake up guys smell coffee, its a whole new world out there now.
It really isnt, and it's sentiments like that which any company will always say no matter the circumstance.

That argument always makes me think about the bitter (not aimed at you) people who always argue that footballers get paid too much. Actually, no...they dont at all...in fact they do not ever get paid what they are worth. A friend of mine who works high up for one of the biggest companies in the country told me once 'employees can never, in a capitalist system get paid what they are worth to the company...because once they do get paid that amount, they are not worth that amount to the company'. What he meant was no company in the history of the world would ever pay any employee more than he/she is worth to that compamy. Take the footballer example...Mr D Beckham when he was at Man U for example asked for 100k a week. Now Utd would not pay him 100k a week if he and his name and talent did not bring in greater than 100k a week...and he knew that. Footballers get paid how much they are worth to a football team, every employee does.
ATCO's and ATSA's will always simply demand that we get paid what we deserve and are worth to the company, and NATS will never pay us more than that. Its simple...but its true!
Now, its easy to say something like 'oh well the credit crunch changes everything'...well that is an nelievably simplistic viewpoint and i urge fellow prooners not to bite because if people truly believe that, then they will never be pursuaded otherwise!
One thing trafficnotsighted said about the analogy with rail workes could be poignent. I admit im really not conversant with previous pay negotiations etc, but from what i could see, the last pay negotiations went VERY well for ATCO's...at expense of trainees so one could argue to expect an increase on TOP of what was (arguably) a very good pay deal in the first place is unrealistic. Arguably