PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2009, 11:13
Glamgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've put on my tin hat and kevlar vest...

Regardless of anyone's feelings, CC on some contracts are paid way above what is industry standard. I'm not wanting people to lose money, but we have to look at this without emotions.

Both WW and EF t&c's make for ineffective work, ie being inflexible. What we need is more flexibility. An example being the long turn-around at LHR for EF during trips. Do you really need a 2,5 hour break? I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a break, but if your inbound aircraft is delayed and you only have 2 hrs 15min for your break you lose the rest of the trip (I know, not all the time), or the flight is delayed.

We can't survive as a company by making our customers wait. It's as simple as that.

Bassa has said "no way" to the hourly rate, without even knowing what the rate would be, if there would be an increase in basic, night stop allowance, etc. I personally think the hourly pay could be a good thing, as WW could then get the bidding system, same as the other fleets. The company save a heck of a lot of money on not paying destination payment (seriously, I've never understood that one - the company having to pay you extra for turning up for work), as all routes would earn the same.

Bidding would be less complicated for EF as well (on hourly rate), as crew could bid for places they'd like to go instead of bidding for the trips with the most box payments just to earn the money.

Bassa uses emotive language at every turn and sometimes stretches the truth. This is very unfortunate, as it makes them look ridiculous when the truth comes out (I've seen it a few times in the last few years).

Some crew are saying that they shouldn't be forced to change contracts, and it's the company's fault for wasting money on this that and the other. That is now irrelevant. It's done, dusted, and although remembered, we can't do anything about it. We're in the middle of a rescession, whether you want to believe it or not. Billions are being given in aid to the banks as I write. The problem for us is that the goverment will not bail us out if it comes to it. Companies are going bust right, left and centre, and we're not immune, no matter how healthy we look on paper.

Do you think that the crew from Zoom et al thought they'd lose their job when they did? Probably not. A company would never publish if they were in financial difficulties, as that would send investors running for the hills and the banks sweating and demanding their money asap.

Basically, what I'm trying to say (in a long winded way) is to look at this with a business head on your shoulders. I don't necessarily agree with what the company wants to do, but I understand why they want to do it.

It's not all bad. As to what I said earlier, there are positive aspects to this draft, you just have to dig through the emotions and predictions of doom to find it.

I personally think that if Bassa wants to be taken seriously (by company, crew and outside world), they need to grow up and put facts on the table. They stamp their feet too soon too often. They walk out of meetings when they don't agree with something. How can you discuss issues when you're not there? I'm not saying lay down and say "yes, ok, fine" to whatever the company wants, but at least stay and discuss it. It will give you respect.

Incoming......

Gg

Sorry for spelling mistakes

Ps. To save anyone accusing me, no I'm not management