PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2009, 06:09
Little_Red_Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequent SLF, if this is the case (that all airlines do not show this on cards) perhaps it is something that will be changed as an outcome from this event.

Here is an example of what I mean:
EasyJet Boeing 737-700 All Safety Cards: Collection of aircraft safety cards

They clearly show two different evacuation paths- just sayin, studying the card prior to such an event would immensely help the recall to the pax of that information in a high-stress situation. Perhaps it's not a requirement in the US to have certain information on the cards- I'm sure in Australia all airlines show this info- I know the ones I have worked for all showed land vs water evac.

My comments earlier were in no way 'having a go' at the pax- of course if you don't know better you want to go for the nearest exit- but I was trying to say, as someone trained for this situation, given the fact the doors were opened so quickly, and the pax thinking they had landed on-airport- means many may in fact have been out of their seats (from knowing impact had occured or from F/As calling 'evacuate'- by the time the need for lifejackets was known.

In a couple of the photos seat cushions can plainly be seen- I was suggesting the possibility that seeing boats, many of the pax may have decided they didn't want to hang arround to collect a life jacket as they felt they were in danger- air crew are taught- if you feel your life is in danger, get the hell out. So, each pax would have done what they thought was best.

(However, I believe taking a rollaboard bag onto the wing isn't the wisest thing, but we all do strange things under pressure!

Interestingly, this particular A320 card shows use of rear doors,
Hellas Jet Airbus A320 All Safety Cards: Collection of aircraft safety cards
so if the procedure is the same for USAir, this fits in with the FA stating that she 'decided not to use rear doors'- well within the scope of her training & role.

Details aside, well done to all involved- crew, those who offered assistance, and the pax for not losing their cool.

Last edited by Little_Red_Hat; 19th Jan 2009 at 06:13. Reason: to put the link in, whoops!