PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2009, 23:10
Kingbird87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The examination of the many aspects of this event are both useful, and distracting. The results of US Airways Flight 1549 are 155 people waking up on the 17th of January, 2009. They weren't in Charlotte, and US Airways was missing one A320, but all things considered, I will always consider this a positive outcome.
The next day, I looked out the window going through 3000 feet departing runway 31 from LGA. I assume the birdstrike occurred about the time he crossed the East River over Manhattan. I looked back at LaGuardia, too many turns, and over the Hudson at Teterboro. I used the judgment I've gained and determined I might make it, but I could not align with the runway and configure for landing with the altitude I had. Captain Sullenberger nailed it. He took the stick, he decided it was the Hudson, and delegated duties. The FO configured for an Emergency Landing, and it happened. He missed all obstacles, and performed a terrific landing. The evacuation, and the crew's actions afterwards are exemplary. I don't have any second guessing to add to this. I do have these personal observations.
I would probably have chosen to ditch. I also would have probably turned up the river toward West Point. This would have been most likely a decision with fatal consequences. The ferries and the emergency response teams were all in the vicinity of the harbor. My judgement, at that time, would have been to avoid populated areas, and if that plane went down several miles up the river, I doubt the outcome would have been without fatalities. I cannot fathom second guessing this man's decisions. I'm convinced. He did it right.
I've seen the other end of this spectrum. As an HC-130 Rescue Pilot, I responded to a number of crashes, sinkings, Typhoons, and a shootdown. That is why I feel such elation with the events of Flight 1549. I know what the other outcome looks like, and it in no way resembles what we have witnessed.
That flight I flew the next day, two of the survivors of Flight 1549 were aboard, along with a US Airways Representative. I watched them get off to meet friends and family, and I felt good. We should all feel good. Captain Sullenberger, you got 155 saves the other day. "These Things We Do, That Others May Live".