PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 (Merged a few times)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2009, 22:22
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I know nothing about the Arrow project but I'd be inclined to think that maybe the same comments apply? Okay, if information has become available through FoI then that's one thing, but precisely what information and where? Are you talking about direct transcripts or someone's report? I say that because this is often the problem with such stories - they sound like facts but when you trace them back you find that you reach a dead-end. There's a big difference between finding conclusive "conspiracy" dealings through FoI for yourself, and reading about such material having been found - inevitably, in the latter case, you find that when you check, the original source of the information doesn't actually say what people claim it said.

It's okay though - I don't want to start a thread about the Arrow, I'm sure you know what I'm getting-at - just the general principle of how these stories often develop.

I'm at risk of going-off at a tangent here, but one classic example I'm currently looking at (for my Lightning book) is the infamous story of how a USAF exchange officer supposedly chased a UFO. When you look into it, all the reports and information are complete nonsense but they keep getting repeated as if they're factual. The only thing that comes close to "fact" is the transcript of the R/T conversation which the BBC has published on their web site, and when you read through that you see that absolutely nothing unusual is reported and even the transcript looks a little suspect in parts! I guess it's a manifestation of the way in which the internet allows a simple piece of information to grow and develop until it bears no relation to the original point!

Last edited by Tim McLelland; 18th Jan 2009 at 22:36.