PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2009, 20:45
bunkrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" However, I would guess that the passengers would be able to organize this rather simple task on their own, especially with the flight crew available to give orders. So I'm stumped in trying to find areas where the CC would have made a difference this event "

I see the point that you are trying to make ie: cabin crew had no impact in the outcome of this particular incident however it did make me smile when the succesful utilisation of a slide by an untrained hand was described as a "simple task".

Firstly there is the door mode to consider, (automatic/manual) with a stampded of traumatised pax beating a path behind you are you going to be able to work out what mode does what? Indeed are you going to want to open the door in automatic in the first place ?

So you've opned the door and because the cabin crew has selected manual (for a ditching) there is no slide inflation....what next...? has it failed? is there a manual inflation option? do you try yout luck at another door?

Ok so you've worked out how to inflate the thing, everyone has scuttled onboard...you want to get away from the fuselage...does it come away? how do you detach it....sure there may be instructions printed on the thing but how long is it going take you to read them..?

The pilots might well be around they might not, they might be together on the other slide or have beaten a hasty retrest out of the D.V. window or indeed (as in this case) be checking the cabin.

I just think its grossly unfair to those flight attendants to say that their imput was negligable/non existant without knowing the full facts.