PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cannot get my head around the Coriolis force!
Old 18th Jan 2009, 18:50
sicky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I hope i'm not hijacking but i've had a few issues with this which i'd like to add:

Firstly, i watched the video posted by Wynsock. When the air is travelling west to east, with the earth's rotation, does it increase speed and that is the reason it heads 'right' towards the equator? If so, when travelling east to west against the rotation, does it slow and therefore head 'right' towards the 'slower' air nearer the pole?

My main query is that I have read that the faster you travel (the example was a north to south in the northern equator), the more effect the coriolis force has. Why is this? (It actually says 'the faster the airflow, the greater the coriolis effect, no airflow = no corilois effect)

Is it in a similar vein to my theory above? I'm thinking along the lines of having slower air at the poles and very fast air at the equator as in rsuggitt's post, and i imagine that the faster air will always head towards the equator and the slower air will always head towards the poles. I'm not sure how correct that is?

Am i over-complicating this?