PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logbook Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2009, 17:53
AJMortimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that's wrong.

You can't have a student logging a different time to the instructor, nor can it be at variance to the Act.

Reference to the Air Navigation Order reveals:

Article 15(4)(a): the commander shall enter in the technical log 'the times when the aircraft took off and landed'. So for the aircraft it's the take off and landing times.

Article 35(3): For the purposes of this article, a helicopter shall be deemed to be in flight from the moment the helicopter first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off until the rotors are next stopped.

Article 155(2) An aircraft shall be deemed to be in flight—

(a) in the case of a piloted flying machine, from the moment when, after the embarkation of its crew for the purpose of taking off, it first moves under its own power until the moment when it next comes to rest after landing;

So, in summary:

The AIRCRAFT times are take off to landing, as per the tech log. (Article 15(4)(a));

The PILOT of a fixed wing aircraft logs time in accordance with Article 155(2)(a) from 'chocks off' to 'chocks on';

The PILOT of a HELICOPTER logs time from the time it first moves to when the blades stop turning (Article 35(3)(a)).

The FLYING SCHOOL charges whatever it likes, in accordance with its schedule of charges which will usually be based on take off and landing times, plus, maybe, an allowance for taxying - but this varies and does not, necessarily relate to chock to chock times - but it may do!

So, going back to my original statement, if you log 'chock off', 'take off', 'landing' and 'chocks on' you have covered all bases!

If your flying school or group requires Hobbs Meter times, or the like, (and most do) then with that information you have all the information you could possibly require.

Just a matter of remembering to make a note of the times!!! You can always ask ATC for take off and landing times if you are stuck.

I hope that helps - it's kept me out of mischief for a while!

AJ

AJ

Last edited by AJMortimer; 18th Jan 2009 at 18:39.