PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire 'Crash' at Masterton
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2009, 16:06
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I find amazing is that many of you complaining here seem to believe these aircraft are historic artifacts. In the VAST majority of cases they simply are not.

In broad brush terms something in the order of 98% of WW 2 era fighter aircraft that are still flying are significantly less than 5% original airframes. Most are new builds built around a data plate and many of the data plates are not original either. With notably few exceptions the truly original airframes with battle records are all in museums never to be flown again.

As just one example every single P40 being flown in the Oz/NZ region is essentially a new build...I have seen the wrecks that were allegedly 'restored' and in every case most of the 'wreck' is in the long grass out the back of the hangar.

I have explored numerous crashed/abandoned WW2 fighters during my years in the SW pacific and even the truly pristine ones were only good for making templates or for gaining knowledge on how they were put together.

It is a joke that they recover a shot down/crashed P40 from a Pacific Island somewhere, build a new P40 incorporating 1 or 2 original components and declare the aircraft as having 'provenance' or having a war record with X victories. On the Isle of Wight some years ago I saw several Spitfires that had been recovered from Russia...when 'they' fly again they will be new build copies incorporating a few components of the originals.

That is not to say these aircraft are not 'real' P40s/Mustangs/Spitfires etc, they are, and its wonderful that people are keen to build and fly these aircraft...but they are NOT historic artifacts that need 'protection'.