PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2009, 11:59
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more observation to incite the masses...

Everyone is falling over themselves to congratulate the skipper on what he did. And of course he did do a good job...

But I reckon most of us (well, those of us who actually fly commercial aircraft - so I suppose a minority in this discussion!) would achieve a roughly similar result. Once the initial shock is over, the aircraft stabilised and the decisions made, the final part of the flight is a relatively simple evolution. I'd be pretty surprised if any more than say, 10% of USAir pilots would screw it up if faced with a similar situation - clear day, calm water, and so on. As another commentator said, he did well but he was also very lucky.

I'm sure that Capt Sullenburger will be the first to say that he just did what he was trained to do.

I'm getting pretty tired of the instant exaltation to hero status that pilots end up having to endure for simply doing their jobs properly. Most of those who have been there had trouble working out what all the fuss is about.

I'm actually more impressed that the F/O gave up his shirt, but there you go.

Anyway I suppose it is just human nature, and as I'm sure that most of the spotters/SLF here won't get what I'm on about, I'll shut up and go and get my flak jacket!