PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane instructor
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2009, 00:54
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
I guess I should do this back to front, as inspired by the quoted poster....

I don't have as much float time as many competent float pilots, and I did not get any of it with a training organization. I got about 50 hours with several old bush pilots, then a float endorsement with a compotent commercial pilot. I am adequately safe in most conditions, and avoid the rest. I can't think of a commercial pilot with 50 hours of float flying who would be the best choice to teach it. Yes, they might know the basics, but there's just too much to know about the float flying environment to get it all from a 50 hour newbie. Truth be told, I feel the same way about any flying instruction from a newbie, go find the old timer for the real wisdom you'll need to stay alive.

Anyone with 1500 hours on floats, who is still alive, obviously knows something about float flying. Choosing to instruct (any form of flying) is a personal choice, which perhaps not everyone should make. Good on you if you recognize your limits!

Nobody can pass it all to a student in 6 hours. The oldtimer can inspire the student to take it cautiously, and seek more knowledge. This would happen by passing on wisdom in the cockpit, on the dock, during a preflight, over a coffee, planning the loading, and on the phone, when you call with a problem. I doubt that hair has anything to do with it. The 50 hour commercial pilot just won't have the wisdom to pass on. The rest of the stuff you might learn in the bush, if you get a job, with no wisdom, and if you don't wreck something first for lack of wisdom. I've fished out a lot of wrecks produced by pilots who thought they had what it takes. If you find a competant instructor to teach floats, they are probably not a 50 hour float plane pilot, but a experienced "bush" pilot. A good float flying school would be a good place to look for such a person.

Yeah, I have heard it's 50 hours to teach. Perhaps the TSB will recommend a change to that rule!

Pilot DAR