PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 22:42
hellsbrink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad Rag

As I said, it was a silly question, because my brain went "Whaaa?" at the comment from the NTSB in the news report posted earlier with the comments from the flight attendants.

Now, to the damage, if you hit water at over 100mph it's seemingly like hitting concrete. I'm guessing they hit above that speed so the pressure of the water is bound to have caused more damage to the engines. Also, the sudden flow trough the engines would probably wash any debris from the birds out. So what is there to be gained by the NTSB wanting to look at the engines when there is, no doubt, more damage caused by the ditching? They have the statements from the flight attendants saying it was a double strike, they have the captain saying the same, why not get the data recorders and look at them to show what happened (two engines going "POP" at the same time would be pretty clear)?

It just makes no sense to hold a Sword of Damacles over people when everything is pointing to it being a very unfortunate accident, as the NTSB seem to be doing.

Oh, and the fact that everyone lived is surely a reason to discuss things more, instead of being ghouls discussing dead bodies.

(PS.. Thanks to those who came out with sensible answers)

Last edited by hellsbrink; 17th Jan 2009 at 22:45. Reason: Added a bit