PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 21:50
Capt Kremin

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
The debate over whether pilots who save an aircraft in this fashion are heroes, is a little silly in my opinion.

A hero is someone who makes a conscious choice to put someone else's life ahead of their own.

Captain Sully and his crew were put in a critical situation by fate. Through exemplary skill by the cockpit crew, both of them; and a well trained and disciplined cabin crew who had the passengers out of the aircraft in very short order, everyone did what they were trained to do and all the passengers got out alive.

Brilliant flying and decision making?-Yes.
Fantastic work by the cabin crew?-Undoubtedly.

Heroic? I think the crew themselves would deny it.

In Australia this week we had our first Victoria Cross awarded in 40 years. The recipient, time and time made himself a target for Taliban machine gunners in order to give Coalition troops time to gather wounded soldiers after an ambush. Then he sprinted 80 metres over open ground to rescue a wounded Afghan interpreter and carry him on his shoulders back to safety. That guy is a true hero because he made the conscious choice to risk his own life to save others.

Funnily enough, he even denies the hero tag as he says anyone would have done the same. I don't think so.

Nevertheless, Capt Sully and crew, I salute you all for the great credit you give to your respective professions. Well done.