PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Flying School (Ireland)?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 20:31
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to become aircrew in the AAC you may be better off going into another regiment or corps, knuckling down for a couple of years, get yourself a stripe or two on your arm (the Military Police or a tech trade is a quick way of achieving this), rack up a couple of good Annual Reports, then applying through the system for transfer.

A teeth-arm unit would be the best as these are the units you would be eventually supporting and operational experience is very useful, however, promotion is slower and if I recall correctly you have to be a JNCO to apply for aircrew selection. As long as you like dust, heat and living in a sh*t-hole for 6 months at a time you're OK. The missus had better get used to that idea as well; the army has a lot of operational commitments now and you can pretty much guarantee you're going to get a suntan at some point in the relatively near future.

But I must say you do sound very indecisive and not sure what you really want to do. The first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what it is you want and what you are prepared to sacrifice to get it. Once you've got that sussed then work out your plan - you're young, you've got plenty of time, a few years in the forces won't hurt (we hope!) and you may be able to either get into aircrew or at least save some money towards your training which may show the bank some commitment on your part which will make them more inclined to lend you the rest (no guarantees there though!).

At the moment, I reckon you've got more chance knitting a jumper out of fog than getting money out of the bank for a CPL/IR course. In any case, neither the flight training nor the air transport industries are in the best of shapes so now may not be the best of times to be going into training.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.

2close