PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dream VS The Reality
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 20:17
dragman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations Gentlemen and Women! It's nice to see constructive advice for this guy. Not the usual "don't do its" or "waste of money" etc etc.

I've only been flying for 9 years. Admittedly I had a job at one stage that was a little repetitive, but still, looking back it wasn't that bad. I'm now working in New Zealand on scenics. I know many will say that is, in fact, repetitive; but it works for me. I love being in the mountains, enjoy meeting people and I get to sleep in my own bed each night. For me, repetitive would be North Sea. But I didn't have to spend 80K on a licence and IR - more like 25K. OK, so it isn't a JAR licence, but I can still work in many places around the world and a conversion is always a possibility.

It's a big decision for you to make, but an easy one. Do you want to fly a helicopter? The answer is obviously yes. Well, you're not gonna get a job without a licence. The hard question comes next - where in the world do you train. The answer to that MAY weight heavily on how or where your career pans out.

I believe that if you REALLY want a job, and you are prepared to work at it, you'll get one. Getting the licence is the easy bit. Good luck!