PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A moan about modern day
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 18:08
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am surprised you dont need all these qualifications though! :o I thought you'd promptly be shown the door if you didnt have all the maths grades etc...
Who would be showing you the door? It certainly wouldn't be the flying school unless it's one of those fussy integrated 'We only take those with right stuff, the best of the best' flying schools. The only qualification you need to learn to fly is money. Once qualified the airlines mostly care less what you did in school or if you were even in school. They are only interested in you having a licence and fitting in with their culture. The maths thing is a complete red herring. You certainly have been woefully misinformed.

There is a maths element to exams and flying but it's mostly practical. You say you've done Engineering. I presume there's a bit of maths in that? Even the HGV apprenticeship.

Lessthanste
Lewy, my GUESS would be that given the climate currently they would only want to take people on if they were 100% sure they were going to pass and a dodgy grade might indicate a problem.
Which they would this be? As I said flight schools mostly want your money. Possibly mentored schemes might have some kind of requirement.

For modular training all you need to sit the ATPL exams all you actually have to do is get a PPL and then do the exams. You can do them through distance learning. There is no they in the equation.

I was never the world's leading expert at maths. But I passed my exams and found them to be not that difficult really.