PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - War Zone on Channel 5
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 16:46
andy148

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
War zone

After watching multiple programs from the brave reporters and produces who waddle off to AFG looking for their "golden globes" or what ever they get for been brave little souls! I do start to wonder where it is going to end, how many times can ross kemp leave his camera man stranded at a FOB cos there wasn't enough spaces on the chinook for them both!
But taking "Warzone" for what it is, is a good bit of PR for the RAF. This program is not for serving or ex members of the forces, but for the interest of people who will never go out to places like AFG. All those shiny GPMG's and bayonets look good on camera, how many bits of footage can you get of rounds getting boxed up! And as for the gunners who were blown up by an IED (as reported in the Birmingham post report) they had the unfortunate look of hitting a legacy mine (as told to me by an experienced RAF SNCO).
On the flip side of the coin people who have served out there look at programs like this with a smile because they can finally show loved ones where they served and places they went. But if i had the choice of serving deep down south, and the holiday camp that is KAF..... i choose KAF!
Let the avalanche begin!