PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 14:24
X13CDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rabidstoat
Probationary PPRuNer

SLF here, and having read through the thread I see where the 'Brace for impact' warning was given, and have heard several passengers talk about having heard that command. What I don't see, though, is anything about the passengers being advised at some point that there would be a ditching, and that life vests should be donned. Does anyone know if that happened, as per the very-busy checklist that someone posted a few pages back?

I'm just trying to sort out the lack of life vests on most people. Seems like there would have been time to dig them out and put them on prior to bracing to impact. However, I have luckily never been in such a situation to know the timing of these things.

.. in responce to this post.. I would say that the lack of life vests on the pax would be due to them not listening properly to the saftey demo before takeoff.. as it all happened so quickly i would have thought there wasnt enough time for any announcements to be made regarding life jackets etc.. there certainly wouldnt have been enough time for any cabin crew to run about making sure people had their life jackets on. In that situation there really would have only been time to say what needed to be said and that was "brace for impact". If people listened to the saftey demo before every takeoff then they would know that if a plane is going down, especially over water, you are meant to put on your life jackets.. but again with how fast everything happened, panic etc, its no wonder if there were a few life jackets missing.