PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the DC3
Thread: Flying the DC3
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 13:21
sundaun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tru Tok Tinnie

I recall a couple of Eddie's mates, one of which was John Stein, a European Jew who had been interned in Europe in WW2, wanting to visit Eddie at Boram latish one evening. Stein made a living melting down allied, Japanese & Gibbesy's wrecks/ordinance around the area. Stewey Forsyth sold them on the idea of a DC3 charter for 2 people Madang -Wewak and return after closing time, as the DC3s had not all been loaded for next day's Mendi SSB charters. Now we were just getting the hang of this IFR thing, the only night flying most of us had done was stuff for that extinct senior comm thing, so when the call for volunteers came through to the mess, the response was not what Stewey expected. Anyway, he rustled up two adventurers, organised some lights at Wewak, and away they went. Didn't quite make closing, but JS, Eddie & Co were still enjoying each others company days later. A prelude to todays Rock Stars/Netjets/Dream Job you might say. Two drunks in a side-saddle DC3.
Probably as close as I will get to that Dream Job.
While I'm on this WW2 topic, I was in Popondetta in 2004, and sighted the very old Japanese gentleman, living in a village near Girua, who didn't quite make the roll-call, surrender or whatever it was all those years ago. He still has a 'spare dick at the wedding' appearance but has been well looked after all these years.

Last edited by sundaun; 18th Jan 2009 at 02:57.