PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates 1st class, and Dubai 4th class
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 13:20
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates 1st class, and Dubai 4th class

Summary = not happy.

Flew 1st class PER-DXB and then to Doha. My focus is on the long haul PER-DXB legs. I paid for 1st class, and was looking for the 1st class experience. Didn’t find it. I’d actually rather fly Thai or Malaysian for the 1st class experience: it may be that their product is slightly more tired, but their enthusiasm is much better and the passenger experience is better.

I flew an old Thai 747 out of Europe a couple of months ago and it was still pretty good. If you line all the planes up, I’ll take an old Thai versus a new Emirates any day. Bit of a worry if you hold Emirates shares.

Coming out of DXB [on Emirates], I was looking for a glass of wine (umm - after being in the ‘dry’ Qatar, a couple of glasses would have been welcome) Did I get them? No way. I got one, then no more, and then gave up and went to sleep. That is, in plain language, crap service. I’d be better off in business class. It’s cute having the 1st class cubicles, but it’s a lot less cute being hidden away as a passenger and having no service. And since I’m one of the very few that pays real money for their tickets, my negative opinion augers badly for Emirates.

I’m looking at another trip now, and I’m looking elsewhere (= no Emirates; which is a little bit crazy because their timetable and route network really support my travel). But heck - I want a glass of wine with dinner and if they won’t provide it, then I’ll go elsewhere.

So, it is now Etihad and SAA (but hampered by the serious lack of SAA business class seats out of Australia). In the years to come, I’m sure the business schools of the world will make a case study of how one can destroy your own market and SAA on the Australia-South Africa leg will feature highly.

I think I have so far failed to address the “new wonder Emirates” Terminal 3 at Dubai. Easily fixed. What a comprehensive mess. I had 1h 30m between flights and I needed every minute of it, to race from one place to another. If you are travelling via Dubai, you would do well to keep a (new) rule of thumb in mind. Dubai = 90 minutes minimum transfer time (and 120 minutes would better).

I can't believe Dubai have done so badly. They are clever people and have visionary ideas. The Middle East is a pleasant transit point, but I vacuously and mischeviously speculate that this is a plot to move people to Qatar and their new facility. If it is, they have done well for Qatar. Anyway, for the international travellers who use the Midde East, the new word for Dubai is ****up. Damn shame.

Last edited by OverRun; 17th Jan 2009 at 22:48.