PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUD as PFD
Thread: HUD as PFD
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 12:24
MrHUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great line of discussion on my favorite topic - HUDs

I was just perusing the net for details on HUDs and HGS and stumbled into this place. Cool site!

I work for Rockwell Collins Head Up Guidance Systems (formerly Flight Dynamics) for about 10 years now. And, accordingly, am painfully aware of the desire for pilots to have Dual HUDs and the resistence from the Finance departments to authorize double the cost.

So, the clear switch on the yoke. We fielded that question recently through Boeing. Might be same source as here, but it is going to be on the 787 yoke. Retro anything on the 737 is terribly expensive, but it's being examined.

As far as damaging the HUD alignment by pushing forward to the breakaway too frequently, probably not. But, it is a mechanical device and they can wear out.

The Dual HUD is clearly the way to go for so many reasons, and many of you are probably aware that Jet Blue has dual HUD Embraer aircraft. I believe that they are working toward dispatch reliability improvements by gaining approval for HUD as PFD. I'm not directly involved in that program, but if anyone wants to know I can certainly find out.

Feel free to email me directly about anything HUD, as we love to support you!

And remember, HGS - The best approach in any category.