PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US1549 Ditching in Hudson River - Q & A's (Merged)
Old 17th Jan 2009, 12:05
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Extraordinary? Yes, almost beyond words. I agree that it will make no diff to the folks that listen to the briefing. IF more do so - then it will only be for a few weeks. You think that 777 pax listen more carefully after 038?

Also, I think the smoothness of the river that was (as far as I can tell) on the EBB tide as opposed to a river on the FLOOD (it creates a very choppy surface) and not on open water - made this survivable. It is reported hat both engines dropped away (as they should) and so helped to make a smooth 'run out'. My guess (note - guess!) is that both flight crew were superb and lucky, lucky, lucky. That is NOT a criticism but luck had so much to play in this. Had they have been on the opposite runway - would they have been turning over a nice stretch of ebb tide? And many other points. Again, not to take away from crew (flight + cabin) who proved their mettle and that they deserved their responsibilities. But luck was a huge part of this.