PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex ATA L1011's going to the RAF
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 11:03
The Real Slim Shady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The figure I quoted includes fuel, maintenance, crew costs etc, all the DOCs in fact.

Ignoring any emotive aspects, the issue is simple: how can the Govt provide the most effective and cost effective strategic air transport facility for the military?

Given that the C130Js and C17s can provide tactical, and strategic freight and para dropping, the question falls to the provision of tankers and AT.

By making 216 Sqn a 3 flt, 3 type Squadron the T*s can take full time responsibility for tanking. Buying, not leasing, 10 used widebodies to provide medium and long range AT is a better option, I contend, than having the numbers of the already stretched T* force increased.

Wet leasing or ACMI from BA or VS or bmi is not a practical option as they would have prohibitive clauses for the safety of their crews: moreover, you would also be tied to existing union agreements and FTLs. In addition, it would be expensive as they would want to make a profit, as much, if not more, than they could make running the same jet commercially.

A further option is to give a contractor a shed load of wonga to buy used airframes and set up a new independent dedicated civilian AT capability: the advantages are that the operator is not encumbered by existing work practices, it is a very quick fix ( 9 months max from go ahead to flying), a better service for the passengers and the MoD, much cheaper than using service personnel as civvies don't need the back up services, pensions etc and highly trained service personnel and equipment are released to do other tasks.

For around $50 million I could buy and refurbish a 744 with 400 economy seats, 45 flat bed business seats and full IFE. That will give a non stop capability to Iraq and Afghanistan and to the training areas in the US and Canada : it gives the capability to tech stop ASI and operate the MPA sector with ASI as the alternate carrying a full passenger load and up to 20 tonnes of freight.