PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max Rate turn vs. Min Radius Turn
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 10:42
Simon150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all....looks like we have reached agreement on the max possible rate turn. Its a turn at maximum possible G at Va (more or less) and probably would include a desent to maintain speed.

I believe that once you are G limited (i.e. at Va) then any additional speed reduces the rate of turn? So the turn must be flown at the minimum speed capable of allowing the airframe limiting load factor to be achieved (about Va)...but no more.....right?

I have been kindly provided with a link to a website which says that a maximum rate turn is also the same as a minimum radius turn (baring fancy stall/canyon turns etc). The author would seem to be an authority on the subject. However, he also states that practically the low speed flaps out option is nearly as effective and much safer.

Airplane Upset Recovery Training: Advisory & Consulting Group • View topic - Turn Capability

I think the exam question has been answered as 'yes - they are the same', with the caveat that it's a theorectical answer to a theorectical question. In practice although you might have a bash at a max rate turn at altitude with an aircraft fitted with an accelerometer, trying a true min radius turn in anger (avoiding stuff low down) is probably not a good idea. The flaps out, slow speed second best option is almost as good and much safer!

Thanks everybody!