PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor told student "you are boring"
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 05:09
Cap'n Arrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I may say a few things

- I think you might be being a little bit too precious here. If an instructor gives a boring brief, then the student doesn't pay attention, and won't take anything away from it. Did the CFI say why you were boring? If he did, then that is constructive criticism. If he didn't, then he probably should have, but at the end of the day he is trying to help you be a better instructor.

- Your reaction to Charlie Foxtrot India's post reads to me like a tantrum. The instructor rating is not first and foremost about "fun." It is about knowing your stuff and being able to impart it to your student. I've yet to experience anything more rewarding than taking a struggling student and getting them flying at a high standard. It's also about taking onboard criticism. If you immediately disregard what someone has said just because you don't like it, or it hurts your ego, then you will not make a very good instructor regardless of how well trained you are.

- When you do start instructing, you will have to fly with a wide variety of students. These will go from the clean, fast learner who doesn't even really need you to be in the plane half the time, to the unwashed struggler who frustrates you at every turn, who you hate sharing a cockpit with and seems to spend their nights coming up with new ways to try and kill the both of you. The instructor rating teaches you how to deal with not just good students, but with the poor ones as well. You may have noticed your instructor pretending to be a struggling student in your briefs (it'd be too easy if they didn't make you work!)

At the end of the day, he is not calling you a boring person, but is telling you the way that you delivered the brief was boring for him, and as such boring for potential students. Remember that he has much more experience than you at teaching students, even if he has been out of it for a while. Take on board his advice, by the sound of it he is not trying to ridicule you, but to tell you what you are doing wrong. I once knew an instructor who was happy all the time and nice to fly with, but he wouldn't tell students if they had done something wrong because he was worried about offending them. Consequently, the students struggled through their training, and had to pay for extra flights. Can you see the point I'm trying to make here?