PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 03:17
Boomerang_Butt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks junior man, I thought that's what you were getting at... it's just not something I've ever seen in an EP manual for ditching... I guess the manual was assuming a quickly sinking aircraft, as opposed to one which floated for as long as this one did...

Just wondering though is the process you mentioned speaking from an engineer's perspective.. I mean I know it's POSSIBLE to do it... but is it taught that way? I'm pretty sure no airline in Aus teaches it that way... though it would make sense in open water... don't think you could do it on a 737 unless of course the bustle lifts up- actually I think it does, but as I've never been advised to do it I wasn't sure if it was possible- I suppose anything that gives one extra options in the water is a good thing!!

Also I can't see it in the pic (maybe not looking hard enough! ) but for the person asking about capacity, usually the slideraft has a grab line along both sides which could be used by people in the water to hold onto if the raft is full/at overload capacity... not ideal in water of the temps on that day though!