PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 02:36
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, haven't waded through the whole 28 pages, so apologies if this question's been asked and answered already, but is there anyone out there who could tell me the expected time of useful consciousness in water of that temperature? I'd be guessing ten to fifteen minutes, or not much more than that.

Re the wearling/not wearing of life jackets: I believe if rescue had not been immediately to hand, in water of that temperature, for those who didn't make it onto the escape slides anf remain dry, the only use the life jackets would have been after 20 minutes or so would have been to make it easier for rescue services to find the dead bodies.

On another point, I'm sorry to be a wet blanket, but I find myself really hoping with all my heart that subsequent investigations (by people, including bottom-feeding lawyers, who will have three weeks to pore over information the crew had to digest and deal with in a matter of seconds) do not find that they can pin some blame on the Captain and his crew for the failures that led them to needing to ditch. Previous similar events, (the A330 in the Azores, the BOAC 'cabbage patch' 707 in [I think] Heathrow in the '70s) where the crew have been loudly lauded by the press in the immediate aftermath of the incident only to be pilloried later, make me hope this will be the exception.