PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2009, 00:16
Kulwin Park

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IAF-22 wrote around page 10 this ...
2°) Are the engines still attached to the aircraft or not ? How come it didn't have the same bad effect on the ditching as the Ethiopian B767 ? Might it be because the rate created a pitch down moment making both engines touching the water and the same time ?? (and then no yaw moment created, thus no roll over!)
Now that we know everyone is safe & it went as best as it could, I'm wondering more on the aspect of the type of landing that was carried out?

Does anyone have access to the 2D schematic drawings of the A320, maybe compared along-side to the B767 (type that crashed in Africa) or maybe compared to a B737 ??? The type of drawing with measurements, etc. Reason is which type is safer in a "perfect world smooth water landing" ??? ... I'm referring to how low the engines hang below the fuselage line - so when the engine pods hit, is the fuselage already on the waterline, or does it get dragged hard onto the water? If you can understand what i mean. It all depends on the profile of the landing really...

I'm an engineer & pilot, but not on airliners ... Its just a thought of how when the "Big Yank" would have occurred when the engines hit the water & ripped the Gas Guzzlers clean off! ... Lucky Fuel is bouyant too

Anyone able to help with schematic drawing, 2D front on & side on from their manuals, and insert pics here??