PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dream VS The Reality
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 22:45
350boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Being a helicopter pilot

Read your post and thought I would add my 2 cents worth in however "Jab" has said most of what I would of said anyway.
Ivé been doing it for a job for the last 28 + yrs and could count on 1 hand the amount of times a year I don't feel like doing it.(normally after a very good crewchange or similar)
If your into adventure,uncertainty,getting f#*%ed around at times,and seeing some (as previously stated)some of the best scenery the planet has to offer ,go for it!.
Ivé done alot of different types of helicopter work from mustering ,Ag,mountain to twin IFR EMS and it's been a bloody good ride so far and some of the people Ivé met along the way have left lifelong impressions of both how I am,would like to be and what I sure as heck don't want to be.
It's not easy to get there but once you are it's worth the effort.
Cost wise if your looking at flying overseas anyway why not learn somewhere where your currency will work to your advantage ?.
Go and take a TIF (training intro flight) and that I would imagine seal the deal for you and you'll be taken "hook,line & sinker and you will become of the mind set of "not if but HOW".
Do it and if you have the drive will be rewarded by having one of the best job's possible.
Good luck.