PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 21:30
precept

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ntsb Briefing Friday Afternoon In New York

NTSB spokesperson gave extensive briefing this afternoon. Next briefing tomorrow afternoon. From memory, items I picked up from briefing (criticize as you like, it is only my memory)

* Aircraft is docked along the shore. It has been inspected by divers. Conditions are very difficult for inspection.

* Cabin crew being interviewed by NTSB today. Air controllers also being interviewed today. Interview of witnesses and passengers has begun. Search of photographic and other data from government and other sources is in process.

* Flight crew to be interviewed from tomorrow morning.

* Recorders could not be recovered today. NTSB plan is to have contractors lift aircraft onto a barge before 1000 local tomorrow morning.

* Once secured on barge, data recorders will be recovered.

* Aircraft will then be taken to 'undisclosed' secure location for further investigation.

* Both engines are not attached to the aircraft. Both engines were attached prior to imact with Hudson river. Side looking sonar searches being conducted in the Hudson river by authorities.

* Once engines are found and recovered, they will be taken to an as yet undisclosed secure location for further investigation. NTSB believes that should bird strike evidence exist, it can be extracted from residual DNA.

Much other preliminaries discussed during the televised news conference this afternoon. Again, I am only reporting what I heard. It may already be available on other internet sources.

One thing is clear though. The NTSB is heavily focused on this accident to learn from what went right. They stated that often they have to focus on what went wrong. This is an opportunity for them to learn. Much more information available but will stop here.