PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dream VS The Reality
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 17:28
jab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTB

Speaking purely for myself, I really enjoy my career and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat so I would say yes, go for it. I have been doing it going on 20 years and I have been fortunate to have done many different types of flying and I have enjoyed most of it. For a nomadic lifestyle, get into the utility or longline market. There are jobs all over the world and due to the versatility of the platform, there are new roles being found for helicopters all the time, just see the thread on the helicopter wrecking ball. Others prefer a more structured life which offshore provides but that does not sound like your niche.

Forget the glamour, there is none but there is an immense amount of personal satisfaction involved in improving your skills, learning something new and doing it to the best of your abilities. I like working with the helicopter and seeing tangible results of my work which is why I like fire fighting and power line work rather than flying passengers but everyone has different ideals and the choice is yours to make. Make no mistake, it is not going to be an easy process and you will make many sacrifices but it has been worth it for me. Everyone seems to whine about how little they are being paid, including me, but not many jobs will enable you to see some of the most remote and beautiful parts of this planet from the best vantage point possible, get paid to do it and have the knowledge that you got there using skills you have developed through hard work. Idealistic perhaps but I don't care, it works for me.

Yes, it is just another job but your enjoyment will depend on your attitude. I still get a kick out of certain jobs and I look for ways to make it better and more enjoyable, I have avoided the rat race, I am not jaded and I think I make a reasonable living. Use your imagination and try to incorporate your engineering background into your job choices and you could have a very interesting and fulfilling career.