PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Quickie - Yes /No Advice
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 14:34
Llen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, thanks to all those that have contributed.

StraightLevel, thanks in particular for the realistic outlook.

It's really difficult I know and there is no way I'm going into it without doing my research and a back up plan. Believe it or not I'm probably the most risk averse person you could ever meet despite how rash my post sounds.

Thing is this is not the first time I've contemplated this and the bug just never seems to go away. But at the same time, everytime I look into it there never seems to a good time to train.

On leaving university in 1999 I applied and narrowly missed out on the BA sponsored scheme. I put it to the back of my mind and followed a career in finance and actuarial scienece. In 2003/4 the bug hit again, I got the class 1 medical and even went as far as visiting some schools in florida. This time some personal stuff got i the way but I also remember reading about doom and gloom in the industry following 9/11. Following my seperation in 2007 I found myself thinking about a change of career again, a new start, which led me to South Africa on a bit of a 'toe in the water' exercise - and I loved it. And now of course we have the current crisis.

I've even considered would i be content in my current job and flying regulary as a hobby - join a syndicate or even build my own kit plane as a project. You know, I don't think I would!!!

So what does a good time to start training look like given my age or have i simply missed the boat!!!

Llen