PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Quickie - Yes /No Advice
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 11:05
Llen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to you guys that have posted so far - I really appreciate your views.

I must admit this industry really does frustrate me as I'm sure it frustrates the majority of you guys. It's the only one I know where you have to fund your own training, take all the risk without the knowledge of being able to secure a job at the end of it. But on the other hand someone has to fly the planes.

What I surely know is that I'll never live my dream by sitting on my @rse in financial services.

Just to pick up on a few points from the respondants so far to stimulate the debate further:

1. I don't know anyone with £40 - £50k of there own money that they can afford to lose - so there must be some risk/gamble involved somewhere.

2. I have a figure in my head that I'll sell my house for so I'll not give it away. This figure will go a long way to paying for training. If it takes 3/4 years so be it I'll rent it out in the menatime. Ultimately I have a tangible assest that I can trade (at some point) to pay for training.

3. I know there is a popular myth that flying is glamourous the pay is good. I know it's more glamorous than actuarial science and ultimately pays as much or even more.

4. Finally you've got to have confidence in yourself that you are going to succeed surely. I know my age is against when compared to the younger guys but I have lots of qualities that they don't.

Anyway thanks again and please keep your thoughts coming.

Llen