Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So farewell Manston,
You had a good run,
And on the way,
We all had fun.
But new runways at Heathrow and Stansted,
Have put the idea of Manston to bed.
What now to do with a brownfield site,
Whatever, it can only be an improvement.

P.S. Strange how all of the environmental impacts being cited for the new runway at Heathrow (air-pollution,asthma, noise) somehow wouldn't have applied to the expansion of Manston.

Still beating that same old drum I see, think you may have to change the tune before the years out.

Incidentally I received this today:
MANSTON airport is tipped to play a large role in the development of air traffic in and out of London.
Kent County Council leader Paul Carter has welcomed the news that Mayor of London Boris Johnson will consider making greater use of Kent International Airport.
The mayor made the commitment in interviews in response to the government’s agreement to a third runway at Heathrow.
Mr Carter, who is also the chairman of the newly formed South East England Councils (SEEC) and represents all 74 councils in the region, said: "I have had very constructive discussions with Boris Johnson and his officers and I quite understand that he does not want another runway at Heathrow, however, we do not want a Thames Estuary airport.
“I do support making the best use of our existing airports in the South-East such as Luton and Stansted and welcome the opportunity of Kent International Airport at Manston being turned into a significant regional hub.
"Kent International Airport could handle six million passenger movements a year which would boost the local economy in an area of high deprivation. When high speed domestic rail services between Ramsgate and London start at the end of the year it will dramatically reduce travel times to and from the capital, making KIA airport an attractive option."

Last edited by manstonman; 16th Jan 2009 at 07:55.