PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Nervous Flyer Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 01:29
BOFH
Bludger extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vendetta,

you will find to your cost why BelArgUSA is qualified to make the comments that he has. He did not ask you to remain seated for ten hours, but simply to keep your unbelted time to the minimum in which to remain comfortable.

On my humble boat, it's more complicated. Unless I am entirely confident that it is safe, lifejackets are required to be worn at sea. A sweaty nuisance in a Sydney summer. Less confident still, and it's 'clip on' as well.

BelArgUSA has the small complication that he has one hundred times as many passengers (whom he cannot observe), and that he is going about 550 knots faster than I. All he can see is air - I can see waves. And he has three planes in which he must maintain control - I have just two. Moreover, he has a nattier uniform!

So I guess we are getting off easy, being asked to remain seated if we can help it.

Then why are there still plane crashes?
Because sh!t happens. A child stops breathing during the night. A drunk driver takes out a school bus. A rugby player collapses and dies of a heart attack.

I am unsure of what sort of cotton-wool life you expect, but I'll eat my hat if you die - and you are going to die one day (as is everyone reading this), - in an aircraft crash.

BOFH